Many peoples have confusions on the email security part. Almost all financial and big companies asks the same question how much secure is the cloud based email servers are. Here is the answer;
We are dealing with SMTP relay servers for past couple of years. It’s not about in-house or cloud based server architecture, both can be infected by attack because email is a entity on internet. Our research shows that there are mostly 5 top attacks (while there are others also) that can be carried out of emails. All these are from the payload of incoming packets. We have worked hard to built technologies which can offer clean email sending via our platform.
Some of the possible attacks, which you can easily understand:
1. Privacy attack through Web Bug- Some times this happen because of the malicious tracking links, images and background sound tags present inside the email.
These malicious tags track the user’s system information, ip address and location and tries to serve different ads.
2. Active Content attacks- attacker uses the active HTML and scripting language to achieve this. Various scripting languages are used mostly JS and VBScript to retrieve the private information from the user’s computer.
3. Buffer Overflow attacks: In this too large files are sent in emails so that it doesn’t fit in the memory buffer of the email client. You might have observed that sometimes you receive malicious email with too large files, those are actually buffer overflow attacks. Here the attacker is trying to take a control on the buffer memory.
4. Trojan Horse attacks- these generally comes as attachment in email with file extension seems to be like an image, doc, spreadsheet etc.
5. Shell Script attacks- Some Unix shell script command is included in the message headers . If the mail client is configured improperly these commands will get executed.
Feel free to write us back for any queries.
Also, for more information on our cloud based e-mail delivery platform, shoot us at email@example.com
|Author: Monil Doshi|